The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Georgia State University invites applications to fill a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Mathematical and Statistical Foundations of Big Data with a start date of August 2024. Candidates in all areas of mathematics and statistics related to big data analysis and processing are encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or a closely related field;
- Ability to teach core undergraduate and graduate mathematics and/or statistics courses;
- Experience in research and teaching in the field of mathematical and statistical foundations of big data.
- Strong desire to work in a cross-disciplinary, collaborative environment;
- An experience in supervising undergraduate and graduate students.
The Department offers BS in Mathematics, MS in Mathematics with no concentration or concentrations in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Discrete Mathematics, Scientific Computing, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, as well as Statistics and Allied Fields, and Ph.D. in Mathematics and Statistics with concentrations in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Bioinformatics, and Biostatistics. Faculty members in the department have established nationally and internationally recognized research programs in both mathematics and statistics, including applied statistics, biostatistics, data science, dynamical systems, complex networks, machine learning, inverse problems, mathematical biology, optimization, computational mathematics, systems biology, modeling neural, cardiovascular, and multi-organ systems, physical and biomedical image analysis. Additionally, the Department collaborates with other GSU departments in epidemiology, pathogen genetics, immunology, inflammation, and translational biomedical sciences. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.mathstat.gsu.edu/.
GSU, the largest university in Georgia, is an enterprising urban R1 research university located in downtown Atlanta and home to one of the most diverse student bodies in the country. It is a national leader in applying innovative measures to drive student success and research growth, as well as generating innovative research.
Applicants should submit:
1) a cover letter outlining qualifications and research interests,
2) a curriculum vitae with a publication list and (optional) a teaching and funding list,
3) a research statement, including current and future research agenda, and
4) a teaching statement with evidence of aptitude or ability to teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels. All materials should be submitted online at http://www.mathjobs.org.
Applicants should also arrange for three letters of recommendation to be submitted online at http://www.mathjobs.org.
A formal review of applications will begin on November 15, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled. An offer of employment will be conditional upon background verification. Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.